Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Toys for summer.....

Last summer, I had a pretty bad crash with another biker on the lakefront path.
It was 7am one Sunday morning, I was getting my 40mile training ride done. Riding down the lakepath in the bike lane at about 28mph (a fair clip) there was no-one around. Then I noticed the lady up ahead in her lane on the other side of the 12ft wide path, then at the last moment,, she turns in front of me, 10ft, I lock up, hit her straight on, flew off my bike and landed on my back, 10 /15ft away. Of course she was on a piece of junk old bike, I was on my expensive race bike. At the time I had no heath insurance and there are no free hospitals in the US, so I was very glad we were both ok. My bike was messed up - hers fine. I rode back home 12miles with 1 gear and blood gushing from my leg. the short of the story is always get money from the person you crash into if it's their fault, well no really the short of the story is I thought my bike was fixable but it turned out the crash had bent the rear part of my frame by 2mm, which makes a huge difference, ie was 20 race gears down to 11 perhaps 12 mediocre gears.
So a month ago I bought a new frame, the same as my old, just a different color and I got a great deal on it because I work in a bikeshop, I had to send the old frame back to Felt, so the White bike no longer exists and I swapped the components.

Here's the start of my new summer race bike. At the moment it weights around 16lbs (7.2kg) which is about 1lb (0.5kg) lighter than my old bike, because I had to get new forks for this bike.
Here's a sneak preview, sorry the picture is bad, but this should be a 15.5lb monster by the time I have finished working on it. It's not as pretty as the old bike, but it will perform as well if not better.
Here's the old bike, very pretty, oh i'm gonna miss the white so much.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u SPOIIILLLLTTTTT.