Pages

Monday, March 3, 2008

Yakima 1st day

Well i'm stoked, today was a fast / slow day. I rode my bike to work in shirt and tie and jeans, it was only about 4 miles from my hotel. When i walked in everyone in the office looked at me a little funny especially with a cycle cap and shirt /tie, since most people there dress kinda outdoorsy..ha.
Anyway I had a few meetings with key people from different departments, everyone was nice and kinda chill. Most of the stuff was procedure, finance, supply chain and what not. I have to say its strange to be back working in an office environment, strange in a familiar good way. It seems like 50% of the people at Yakima are bike nuts, my boss is a bike nut and a lot of the people I have to work with day to day are also. My boss Chris seems like a very good guy, sensible head with an understanding of design and what it takes / needs to be successful.
The group I work in is the advanced design group, where were the advanced aspect is that we come up with new ideas /products and develop them to a certain point before handing off to a more traditional engineering group, its basically a subset who's focus is on new product and not on maintaining existing product designs.
So after a morning of paperwork and networking, the afternoon brought a design review on a new product they are developing, the teams are organic and lighthearted, not like when I worked at GE! So overall a great day, plus as I bonus I found out that I can still get Pro Deals on a lot of cycle stuff, including Burton and Snowboards!!! awesome!

2 comments:

Nathanael Roe said...

glad Day 1 was great. the most important question, though, when do you get employee disco's on sweet racks? NATHAN

Anonymous said...

digabe writes- Glad you are adjusting so well! Can you get any good deals for bike racks for our motorhome?G&D