Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

London - Just as non British as I remember

I remember when I first came to the US I thought a lot of people lacked manners in general day to day interactions. Now i'm in the UK it seems like the US has rubbed off on me and i'm the one lacking manners. Funny how that works.
I saw my sister over the last few days, I headed down to London (2.5hr train ride from Leeds) to check out some galleries and architecture. Ended up meeting my sister there as she lives pretty close to London in Brighton. Went to the Tate Modern which had a Mark Rothko and a Cildo Meireles exhibitions going on, the Meireles was really good, very spacial and interactive modern art with a social twist. Then we tooled around london for a while, checked out some well wicked buildings - The Lloyds building is pretty sweet looking when you are there in person. Ended up in South Kensington (very snobby mate) in the Conran shop, which is fulla designer furniture, nick nacks and what nots all costing a mint or two. Jumped on a train, went to Brighton, went to the Pub, had some bangers and mash then stayed at my sisters place before heading back to London the next day.
London to me is in the same standing as Manhatten, London's not really British, it's too much of many cultures in that the essence get's diluted into a more aptley put "London Experience", I sorta felt this way about Manhatten also, the "Manhatten Experience"

Off to Manchester Velodrome tomorrow, home of TeamGB!.

No comments: